Monday, May 16, 2011

Hilarious Hiccups

My brother, sister, friends and I were playing a game tonight called Apples to Apples. The adjective was "manly," and someone laid down the card, "Helen Keller." Everyone exchanged quizzical looks until I said, "She's like men: deaf and dumb."

I don't know if you find this funny, but, being rather slap-happy, we thought it was. I will occassionally have moments of brilliance in which wit will give me the upper hand and a couple laughs, but quite honestly, when I try to be funny, I get weird looks or, "Woooooooow..... that was.... um..... okay....."

I entirely blame my father for this. =) Ever since we were little, he has had the cheesiest sense of humor I have ever known- and YET! I still laugh every time to his every joke. Just after my freshman year of highschool, I was in a play with a bunch of public schoolers, and I cracked a joke that was in the way of my father: cheesy and/or lame. After the murmured chuckles, one girl said, "You need to work on your sense of humor." I tried not to be hurt by this. In fact, over the past few years, I've tried to curve my sense of humor to be less... well... you know...

The only problem is that I'm not sure I've changed at all. I still get weird looks. All the time. ALL the time. And one fear I have is that this cheesy sense of humor will be conveyed into the book. I don't want my characters to come off as lame- I really don't! And with one character that I've hoped to be the comic, I'm afraid he's come off in that way. So here's what I'd like to know: is my sense of humor weird, abnoxious, funny, hysterical, immature, sillly, etc.? What are your favorite kinds of jokes? Do you like social puns more than your average joke (I do, personally)?

Here's the problem I've run into: I can't pull social puns! This is taking place in another world! So when an unusually enigmatic character comes into play, I can't have someone call her "Lady Gaga" just for kicks. No one in that world knows who that is. Therefore, I must stick to quick wit in dialogue.... So I guess I just answered my own question... But I'd still like to know what you all think anyway!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it's hard to strike that balance between funny and serious, humor is vital to a book. I think that you wouldn't have problems if you kee at it, being the funny heather I love you as :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. =P Lyddy, Gabriella Reed is my penn name. Please call me that while on this blog since I don't really want to disclose my real name =P

    Bekah... thanks =) I love you!

    ReplyDelete