Sunday, September 26, 2010

Themes and Theories

As I sit here watching the third Harry Potter movie I have seen in a week, I wonder to myself, "What is it about this movie that makes me excuse the fact that this movie is entirely about magic, which ordinarily disturbed me, forgive that factor now?" Well, it's interesting, if you watch something for yourself you can observe the pros and cons of it. You see, once I sat down and watched the movie and analyzed it a hundred times, I realized that in the end, good and evil are still in conflict here. And we're not just talking "good magic" and "bad magic." In the first movie, Sorceror's Stone, the only reason Harry killed the bad guy was because of the love he had for his parents, and vice-versa. In the second one, Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter was helped by the Pheonix, which was only called because he was devoutely loyal to his teacher. In the third movie, Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling returns to the love Harry has for his parents when he uses his memories of them to fuel his magic powers.

So what I find more attractive about these movies is not the intense entertaining features it holds, for indeed- it is quite entertaining, but at the end of each movie, J.K. Rowling continues to teach a positive lesson. I'm not saying in any way, shape, or form that these lessons can take place of Scripture or other more important materials. But for a secular movie, I really must say that it is well-done. Now, I must finish watching the movies and read the books to really be able to say that for sure, but this is my assessment so far.

As to how this has affected me as a writer, I suppose you could just say this is how a soon-to-be-authoress analyzes materials that are already in place to see how she can better her own. In my books, I plan on teaching, first, through negative example. Then as my characters reform, show what an imperfect human being striving for virtue should look like: humble and good. Harry Potter is a good example of a "good" character, and I suppose many people would look to him as an example. However, with the Holy Spirit residing in me, I cannot say I look to anyone but Christ for my example of perfection.

It's getting late now, but I hope you can make some sense of my nonsensical post! Goodnight all! God bless!

6 comments:

  1. On your poll, I voted that I pay most attention to the story line...but in reality, it's between that and grammar/mechanics. There is almost nothing more annoying to me in a book than bad grammar and mechanics. :S ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Me too! I feel like taking a red pen to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movies or read the books, so I really can't give much of a comment. But I'm commenting anyway so you know I read your post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks Kelsie! I hope you enjoyed it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been visiting everybody's site to wish a happy late new year before I log out. SoOoOo...HAPPY LATENEWYEAR!!
    @ Bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That @ was supposed 2 B a smiley face...Not sure how it ended up like that...Sry :/

    ReplyDelete