Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Word of Explanation

To forewarn any readers of my novel, I would like to answer some more inquiries that have been put to me as to the involvement of the Savior. As I said in my first post, I do not have any character in my book symbolizing the Lord, Jesus Christ, or of the Father, nor of the Holy Spirit. Many people have asked me why I call it a "Christian" novel if it does not include any of these figures of the trinity, and I tell them simply that I do NOT claim my book to be a "Christian" novel. My characters are moral, but they do not find their hope in the eternal Savior. Allow me to explain....

When I first began to write my book, as I said earlier, I had no intention of its being seen by anyone. Only afterwards when I felt the need and desire to share what I wrote did I feel compelled to add lessons. Being a Christian, I suddenly found a very difficult flaw: none of my characters had an everlasting redeemer to look to in their time of trouble. I have made them moral, clinging to one another in brotherhood and love, but that is all. And there came in another problem: my book that I am in the process of publishing is one of seven, listing as number two, if I were to list them all in order. I have set up the series in such a way so that each of my heroines come from different countries of the world that they live in. Now, we all know that in the real world, NO ONE agrees religiously and each culture carries with it a particular sect or religion. For instance, Arabs are predominantly Muslim and Ancient Egyptians had mythological dieties. Both of them are completely different. My plan was to make my cultures as diverse as possible. However, I could not- in good conscience- write a story about a young girl who worships something I don't believe in. And of course, I could not make my entire world believing in the same diety because that simply is not realistic.

I was caught in a corner, and still am, as I see it. However, I do not find it a sin to write about moral people. So I have continued to write, not simply to teach morality to the world of my audience, but to hopefully place enough arrows upward for them to see who I'm really pointing to for all of this: God.

That's all for now! If you have any questions, please post them! I haven't completely worked all of this out in my mind, but I welcome any questions you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment