Sunday, February 20, 2011

Editing Update

For those of you who may actually be following my blog instead of my facebook, I thought you wouldn't mind being updated! =D

I got my manuscripts from both my publishers last week and have begun the tedious task of editing! It is a slow process, especially since I've chosen to completely rework some very major facets of the novel. For instance, I've changed it to first person instead of third and am adding more emphasis on developing my main character and certain characteristics of my other characters. There were several scenes, particularly at the beginning, where I just felt uncomfortable with how the scenes flowed. One of my editors particularly helped me with this! He suggested completely taking out the whole first few chapters and rewriting them, starting at a different point in my character's history. This has been the most difficult part of the reworking process, but I've actually enjoyed it very much! I feel like my novel has a bit more color in her cheeks and comes across more natural. I've enjoyed editing these chapters more, not only because I'm turning everything around and twisting it into more intrinsic depth of feeling, but also because I'm not simply reading through the SAME manuscript SEVERAL times, only changing grammatics, which my other editor has been good enough to correct for me =D Her fresh eyes have helped catch mistakes I've overlooked several times, having read, read, and reread it all multiple times.

This is just a quick update to let you know how it's coming along! Thank you so much for taking the time to check up on me! =D

2 comments:

  1. Yay! An update!! I'm excited to hear that you're enjoying the editing process. I'm so, SO proud of you, Heather!! :-D
    P.S. - You mention that your novel has more color in HER cheeks...So she's a girl?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. =D Yeah, I guess it is =D At least, they're all about girls, so they might as well be girls =D

    ReplyDelete