Sunday, December 12, 2010

Audience: Is Anybody Listening???

I can sit down and write down all sorts of things in a diary. I can write down how beautiful I think our Christmas Tree is, how the snow makes me feel all excited about the Christmas season, how I love my family and other people I won't mention...... However, when I write those things down, who do I have in mind for my audience? Surely no one would be reading my deepest hopes and dreams! Surely no one would be so insensitive as to invade my most personal space! Those things are written with my own view in mind. Those things are said in the presence of my own mind without thought of what other people would think. However, with a younger brother in the house, I learned very quickly that, whether you desire it or not, you WILL have an audience. So no matter how personal it is, I always write it down as if speaking to someone who may be reading it, whether it be an unwanted invader or my own daughter reading a mother's thoughts and reflections when she encountered the same struggles. But diaries are not meant to be read by other people.

So here's my point: Who is my audience in this instance? My book is my baby. My book is my opinions. My book is my thoughts. My book is my beliefs. My book contains pieces of my own heart. How is this any different from a diary? Could it be that this book is the diary of the life I never had? In some ways.... a lot of ways.... I think it is. Therefore, would that mean that my audience is only myself? Obviously not, since I plan on publishing. But since this book was written with only the thought of self expression, how can I limit it to a certain age group? I've grown a lot since I began writing this book. And what began as a harmless fairy-tale has become more of a dangerous story, filled with romance and gore. I had originally planned it to be an elementary level reading... But with the progression of my age, I find it more difficult to keep it elementary. In fact, I believe my book has become more for the teenage era than anything now, yet I'm still struggling with deciding whether or not I would like it to be for the younger age group or not. What do you think? Do you like more mature novels with dense, dangerous plots, or do you prefer the innocent novels of the Chronicles of Narnia or the first Harry Potter books? Let me know what you think! I think it's a little late to change anything about it now, but I am curious to know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I'm listening. I just don't know how to best advise you. I like both types of plots. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your BIG brother, and I'm listening too :). And with regards to your question, make it what YOU want... Let your first book be what comes from the natural flow of your thoughts, and you'll have time in the future for other genres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,



    I miss you an awful lot! With choir being over, to you no longer assisting Bekah at Drama I only see you every so often. I hope to speak to you soon Heather! Keep up the good writing!




    Lyddy

    ReplyDelete